A number of our guests at the recent free workshops on warehouse design, asked for Mal Walker’s ‘rules of thumb’ on warehouse design.
So here they are.
- Ideal Land to Building ratio in lineal metres, 1.7:1–2:1
- Building aspect ratio, 1.7:1 – 2:1
- Ideal Warehouse Height at Springing Line 9.5-10.5 metres
- Pallet per Sq metre ratio 1 – 1.2 (conventional storage racking)
- Approx 20 to 25% of warehouse floor should be left for non storage operations e.g. receiving, dispatching staging
- Truck turning space 30-40 metres
- Always plan for driver side reversing
- Do not crimp aisles for sake of a few extra bays of storage
- Avoid funnels
I’m sure if you have any other questions, Mal would be glad to help you.
Thanks for coming along to our event.
Email or +61 417 417 307